Thursday, January 4, 2018 / by Amy Paradysz
To First Time Home Buyers That Don't Know Where To Begin
Buying a home is stressful, no doubt about it. For first time home buyers, it can be overwhelming, considering it is common to not know where to begin in the process.
Watch below to see our awesome Buyer Specialist, Scott Lipschutz, reviews the steps of the home buying process and shows off his office ping-pong skills ;).
The Home Buying Process
1) If you have a home to sell, consult with your agent to list the property. Determine if you need the proceeds from the home sale to purchase your next home.
2) Find out how much you can afford to spend on a home. Interview with a mortgage lender and obtain a pre-approval.
3) Next, meet with your agent to set search criteria and determine your wants and needs. Ask your agent to help you break down the pre-approval amount, to see exactly how much your monthly payment will be. Sometimes, the difference in a few thousand dollars on a home may only result in the difference of a few dollars a month.
4) Begin looking at properties! Agents within The Hardy Real Estate Group will send you a list of properties that match your criteria every day. Let your agent know of the ones you love, and want to go see. Your agent may also recommend off-market properties that they suggest seeing before the home hits the market. This is most common in high-demand markets.
5) When you find your dream home, tell your agent you are ready to make an offer! Tip: in high-demand markets, be sure to submit your offer with photo proof of your deposit check and a heartfelt letter to the seller explaining why you would love to be the next owner of the home.
6) Your agent will then negotiate the terms with the Listing Agent of your dream home, always looking out for your best interest. Here, your offer can either be accepted, rejected or returned with a counter-offer (most common).
7) If your offer is accepted, congratulations! You are now one step closer to being a home owner. If it is rejected or you are out-bid, continue your home search. If they counter, both sides will work together to find a middle ground that is agreeable.
8) Schedule inspections. Agents within The Hardy Real Estate Group will schedule these for you, and provide insight as to which series of inspections would be best for the home you are purchasing. Your agent will also make sure you complete all contract requirements.
9) If necessary, your agent will negotiate repairs/credits per the Home Inspection Report.
10) From here, your agent will work together with your mortgage lender and Title Company to obtain Township U&O's (if required for resale), Appraisals, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric and Home Owner Associations as necessary.
11) Obtain your mortgage commitment (final approval for your loan) from your mortgage lender and a copy of the title report (title company's promise to issue a title insurance policy for the property after closing containing same terms, conditions, and exclusions that will be in your title policy).
12) Last but not least, on the day of settlement, your agent will schedule a final walk-through of the property to check that the home is in the condition to be sold in the terms that were agreed upon. Settlement will take place at your agent's office or title company of choice.
Congratulations! You are now the owners of your home. Now it is time to celebrate, and of course, leave your Realtor an awesome review ;) .